1.31.2014

If At First You Don't Succeed - Make it Bigger

I came across a recipe for Crunchy Quinoa Sweet Potato Burgers the other day and could not get the look of the sweet potato patty out of my mind. Just looked so crunchy and good for you! The perfect food. So I attempted to make it.


Ingredients:

  • 1/3 cup quinoa
  • 2/3 cup filtered water
  • 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
  • 1/2 cup canned white beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons tahini (optional)
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (or 2 cloves garlic, minced)
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1/2 cup panko
  • 3 sprouted grain hamburger buns 

  • For crunchy guacamole:
  • 2 avocados, peeled and pitted
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • 2 tablespoons salsa or pico de gallo
  • 2 tablespoons raw pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds)

Directions:

1. In small pot, combine quinoa and water over high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover. Let quinoa cook for 10 to 15 minutes until all water is absorbed. Remove from heat and let rest for at least 5 minutes.
2. While quinoa cooks, cook sweet potato in a pot of boiling water for about 10 minutes until soft and mashable. When potatoes are finished cooking, combine with white beans in a mixing bowl and smash with a potato masher until well mashed but still retaining a little texture from beans. Add tahini (if using), salt, and spices. Mix well, then add quinoa and fold in with a spatula.
3. Heat a medium-sized pan on the stove to medium heat and drizzle with olive oil. Form quinoa-sweet potato mixture into three patties, coat with panko, and cook 4 to 5 minutes on each side until a nice crispy golden brown outer shell is reached.
4. While burgers cook, make guacamole by mashing all ingredients together.
5. To assemble, place burger patty on bottom half of bun and top with guacamole and bun top.
 
Recipe provided by Jessica Smith of MadetoCreate

I of course made more of a basic patty with just sweet potato, quinoa, mixed beans and a few random spices from my bare spice cabinet.  I also did not make the guacamole that was to be paired with it due to a lack of ingredients and preparedness.

 My first attempt was a total fail. I made the patties too thin and they broke apart when flipped and then became one large mass. 
Crunchy, but not pretty.
So I got smart and made them bigger! Like actual burgers. Who would have thought??
Example of my first try.
Finished product. Success!
I made some pickled cabbage earlier in the day ..... I know, weird right? I mean who randomly makes pickled cabbage?


Lovely Friday night dinner for myself. 


 There you have it. I experimented with recipes and ended up with a decently healthy meal. And here's a secret ..... I totally pretended I was on Chopped Canada. How in the heck to they create those meals in just 30 minutes?! I guess none of them have a 3.5 year old child asking for their attention every 3.5 minutes.

And be thankful I am not around to kiss you tonight. Holy garlic! But so so good.






1 comment:

  1. The pickled cabbage looks too pretty to eat! Great job Leah!

    ReplyDelete