9.06.2012

Calming the Terrible Twos Monster

I was certain I would not have to deal with the terrible twos, as AJ has always been such a calm, sweet, well behaved child. I am not saying she is not well behaved now because I have seen how some kids can act, but she is starting to have her moments. I realize this is to be expected and shall pass, so thank Goddess for that! But I can't deny that when the Terrible Two Monster surfaces, I want to run and hide in the closet.

Or the nearest local pub.

When this demonic monster takes over my child she will scream, lay on the floor and scream, hit the couch and scream or look me right in the eye and scream. It usually lasts a few minutes then all of a sudden like a light being turned off, she stops and hugs me. It often amazes D and I how quickly she will correct herself.

But I tell you, her and I can go at it like I know we will when she is 15. I see the future and it is scary. I am tasting my own medicine and it is bitter. You were right, Mom.

Since it is pretty well just AJ and I all day, we get to spend time doing fun things. But, on days where I have deadlines for work, she may watch Tangled twice in a row. Maybe three times. Possibly four. Yes, I know ..... MOTY!

Done judging me? Ok, let's move on.

So on days where I see the tail of the Terrible Two Monster starting to emerge, I stop it with distractions. Yesterday it was a Ring Pop, today it was finger painting, and tomorrow it will probably be letting her watch Dora on my phone. Whatever it takes.



I get my work done, so I am happy. She gets to feel special, so she is happy. Which then makes D happy. One happy little family!

The way to look at the terrible twos is as if AJ has PMS everyday. I know how it feels, and I also know how chocolate and wine make it all better. So what if her chocolate and wine is candy and Disney movies? Who cares?

No comments:

Post a Comment