3.16.2011

Faking It Till I Make It!

My Mom always had six great words of advice for me whenever I was attempting something new......


Fake It Till You Make It


I went into every new adventure with the mind set that I knew exactly what I was doing. I truly feel I never failed at anything.

When I decided to go back to school at the ripe old age of 30 I was totally freaked out. My mind went back to that terrifying first day of grade 2 at a new school. I walked into the classroom and everyone turned their heads to look at me. I cried. I begged my Mom to go home and get my Cabbage Patch Doll named Holly for me. Pretty sure I made them both stay by my side that day. I'm shy ok?

School was just not my thing. I hated it! I was so shy that if I was late for class I just didn't go. I was one of those students that never lived up to their full potential.

So I knew I had to fake it till I made it this time. I needed a persona to help me feel the part and gain confidence. I went to one of those stores in the mall that sells jewelry, socks, hair attachments and tween make up.

I bought a pair of fake glasses.

I put those glasses on and walked into University with confidence, smarts and a positive attitude. I walked out with a 3.6 GPA, no missed classes and was never late. I faked it all the way to my cap and gown.

I put the glasses away for a long time, but recently came across them and pulled them out. I set them upon my face this morning and my whole attitude changed once again. Mind over matter? Who cares, I feel great with them on and they help me feel more focused.

Maybe I should go get my eyes checked???

1 comment: