9.17.2012

Good For You Ice Cream!

My wine buddy, Lana, told me about One Ingredient Ice Cream made from bananas. I wasn't sure if it was the wine talking, so I did some research and she was in fact right. There is such a thing as turning bananas into ice cream!

AJ and I go through a lot of bananas. I use them for my morning smoothie and she often has them as a bedtime snack. But once in a while, more often than not, we end up with a few who are tired of sitting on the kitchen counter and decide to go bad. They probably think, "I bet we will get baked into a nice warm banana bread!" Not so much.

But now that I am aware of this banana ice cream, I will be putting them to good use.

Or maybe not.

The idea is to cut up some bananas, freeze them, then puree them into an ice creamy texture. You can add cocoa powder, peanut butter, strawberry jam, honey, or other ingredients to create some neat flavors. How can one go wrong, right? Just remember who wrote this post.

The only reason this failed for me was because I don't have the proper equipment. I tried to use my smoothie mixer, then a hand mixer. They DO NOT work. The bananas are too hard. I did manage to get a little bit to taste and just from that, I can tell you this stuff is kick ass! It has a definite ice creamy texture, and there wasn't a harsh banana flavor. Certainly not like eating baby food.



Give this recipe a try, and tell me what you think! What extra flavors did you add?

No comments:

Post a Comment