4.18.2011

Cake Pops: Take 1

I have seen a lot of talk from Krisitin Chenowith on Twitter about her love for Cake Pops. I had never heard of them and for some reason my mind pictured cake inside an old fashioned soda pop bottle. 


Weird I know. 

Now, I am the Queen of Google and for me to not do some research on these cake pops was very out of character. I blame laziness, and the fact that KC often posts totally out there Tweets about anything and everything containing sugar. I wasn't convinced they were real. Then a friend from Vancouver Island posted a photo on facebook of her daughter enjoying a cake pop from Starbucks and I was excited to see that maybe they did really exist. I entered Cake Pops into my Google search bar and came upon cake pop heaven! You can make tea pots, flowers, snowmen and bugs out of these cake pops! They were the cutest things I had ever seen! I had to learn to make them in time for Audrey Jane's birthday in June.

Here is my first attempt:


Chocolate cake batter.


Melting chips and sucker sticks.


Boxed cake mix of course.


My first MISTAKE! Didn't notice it was whipped till I took the photo. Caused the cake balls to be too soft where regular frosting would help them be at a stiffer consistency. Trust me, you want stiff balls. 

(Yes I am looking for a Betty Crocker endorsement) 


Cake balls ready for chilling. 


This is a great way to make cake for me, as all my cakes end up looking like this anyways. 


Melted chips ... pink of course. 


My baking helper taking a dinner break. 


Second mistake .... not having styrofoam blocks to sick the cake pops in to dry. I tend to think I can break the rules and still succeed sometimes. 


Right before this cake pop met my mouth. 

Overall, they tasted quite good. They definitely take a lot of time and patience to make, but I can see this being a great baking project in years to come for AJ and I. I will make sure to not buy whipped frosting and will invest in the styrofoam blocks. I give this Un-domestic Goddess a B for a fabulous first try. 

No comments:

Post a Comment